Healthy food doesn’t have to be bland and this delicious pasta with tuna recipe is the proof. It takes 15 minutes and anyone can cook it. The only “cooking” involved is boiling the pasta. The rest is chopping, draining and assembling your dish.
This is my absolute favourite muscle building and healthy meal. It’s quick and easy to prepare. It’s tasty, nutritious and it gives you 30g of protein! Not bad for 15 mins of “cooking”.
It’s so good that I spotted a similar recipe in Nigella Lawson’s book – Nigellissima. In her version though, the celebrity chef uses spaghetti instead of pasta. It looks (and I’m sure it tastes) just as good as my version. Enough talk. Let’s get cooking.
Pasta with tuna
- 1 can tuna I prefer the ones that are in brine but you can have the tuna in oil, spring water etc.
- 100 g pasta I tend to use fussily but you can substitute with your favourite type of pasta.
- 1 tomato
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3-5 olives Don't add any if you don't like olives.
- 1 Small red chilli pepper Use chilli flakes to taste if you prefer it.
- 1 Clove of garlic Don't add any if you don't like garlic.
Boil the pasta
- Add a table spoon of olive (or cooking) oil and a pinch of salt to a small-ish pan with boiling water. Add the pasta and leave to boil for 12-13 mins.
- Open the tuna tin and drain the liquid.
- Wash the tomatoes and chop them.
- If you are using chilli pepper and olives, now is the time to chop them too.
- Peel and crush the garlic clove. If you don’t have a garlic press, you can crush it on the chopping board and then finely chop it.
- Drain your pasta and return it into the pan you use to boil it in.
- Add the tuna, chopped tomatoes, chilli (or chilli flakes), olives and garlic. Season with a pinch of salt, black pepper and the lemon juice.
- Stir it all in and serve in a bowl.