[dropcap]O[/dropcap]ne of the most frequently asked questions by skinny guys is what makes you gain weight. The obvious answer is food, of course. Gaining weight, however, is a complex subject. It largely depends on the individual, their lifestyle, level of activity, metabolism etc. Gaining weight is as much about the food we eat as it is about how much and how often we consume it.
We are different. We lead different lifestyles. We have different metabolism. We have different nutritional requirements. These factors should be taken into account when talking about what makes you gain weight.
Less is more when it comes to healthy weight gain. It depends on your physiology and metabolism. Your body is a functioning system and as such it has its limits. It’s restricted to processing a certain amount of food for a certain period of time.
Here are my Top 3 DOs and DON’Ts on what makes you gain weight:
What makes you gain weight DOs:
- Do eat small portions often. Spread your calories needs into 5-6 meals a day. Your body is only capable to process a certain amount of calories at the time. It stores the rest as fat. It takes an estimated 2-3 hours for your body to process each meal. Eat small portions every 2-3 hours to ensure your food is properly processed and not stored as fat.
- Do eat carbohydrates and protein rich foods. Carbohydrates are a natural source of energy for your body. Protein is used to repair and grow your muscles.
- “Good” carbohydrates are found in bananas, beans, brown rice, chickpeas, lentils, nuts, oats, potatoes, root vegetables, wholegrain bread and pasta etc.
- Get your protein from lean cuts of meat, poultry, fish, eggs and dairy products.
- Do drink water. It helps your body to stay hydrated and to flush toxins and other waste from your system. A large proportion of the human body is water and that’s why it is important to keep hydrated.
What makes you gain weight DON’Ts:
- Don’t snack. Snack foods, such as crisps, biscuits, chocolate and similar processed snacks are high in processed fat and sugar. Without a rigorous exercise regime these foods will make your weight rise; but by storing the food as fat.
- Don’t over indulge on diet foods. According to the International Institute of Obesity the sweeteners used in diet foods can interfere how your body processes the calories. Consuming too much diet foods can trick your body into thinking other foods are calories free too.
- Don’t skip meals. It disturbs and confuses your metabolism and sends your body in “preservation” mode telling it to store the calories from your next meal as fat.
That’s my answer to what makes you gain weight.
[quote_box_center]Now is your turn to share your tips on how to gain weight by leaving a comment below.[/quote_box_center]